Smoking Ceremony at New Leaf

In Acknowledgment of the Dharug People of the Dharawal Nation the Traditional Custodians of this Land we Pay our respects to Our Elders Past and Present. A Sacred Aboriginal Smoking Ceremony was held for Ironmark for the start of construction for the Bonnyrigg Newleaf Estate Social Housing project. The traditional Smoking ceremony was performed by Aboriginal Elder Uncle Gary Simon Jagamarra. A smoking ceremony is an ancient Aboriginal custom in Australia that involves burning various of native plants to produce smoke, which has cleansing properties and the ability to ward off bad spirits from the people and the land and make pathway for a brighter future.

About the project: The development aims to provide new social and private housing to create a socially mixed community with 70% of dwellings in private ownership and the remaining 30% for public housing. This suburb transformation is being delivered in 18 stages, with the first five having already built 548 new homes, including 212 social ones. Another 142 homes are currently underway in stages 6-7 with the remaining to be delivered over the next 15 years in stages 8-18.